Dry Skin Care
It’s time to take dry skin care to a new level to get your skin ready for Spring. Keeping a balance of oils and moisture to prevent and treat dry skin is the key element of dry skin care.
Dryness is very common, especially in the winter and especially for women over 40. Dry, heated indoor air and dry cold air take their toll on our skin. The symptoms of dry skin are tightness, redness, and itching. Occasionally, dry skin can crack and peel causing pain and discomfort.
Featured Image: Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream, 1.7 Ounce
Effective dry skin care includes making sure that the treatments you’re using don’t make the problem worse. Try these simple tips to soothe, treat and prevent dry skin:
- Avoid skin care products with alcohol or soap, along with astringents and some toners. Look for products specifically made to balance dry skin, including problem combination skin like in the T-area (nose and forehead) of the face.
- Make sure your indoor environment isn’t overly dry. This may require the use of humidifiers and being careful about air conditioning.
- Apply moisturizer every day, preferably in the morning and before bed, under your makeup and when your skin feels tight and uncomfortable. Beware of moisturizers with too much oil, as they can breakout your skin. Use rich creams with Vitamin E, especially at night, around the eye area where the skin is more sensitive and thin.
- Use a gentle product for exfoliating, to prevent irritation and redness. Concentrate on oily areas like the nose and forehead.
- Use a hydrating mask once a week, or more often for very dry skin or in the winter.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day to stay hydrated.
- Protect your skin from the cold when you go outside and avoid sudden changes in temperature.
Popular, Effective Dry Skin Cleansers
Using soap on your face can dry it quickly, leading to tightness and redness. Prevent irritated dry skin by using gentle cleansers specifically formulated for your skin type. I like the ones with shea butter myself. They make my skin feel so soft!
Elizabeth Arden CleanserCeraVe Hydrating CleanserPevonia Dry Skin CleanserClarins Foaming Cleanser With Shea Butter Dry/ Sensitive SkinMary Kay 3-in-1 Cleanser, Normal/Dry SkinSkinmedica Sensitive Skin Cleanser
Facial Moisturizers For Dry Skin Care
Like the guys say, the best offense is a good defense. Protect your skin from the effects of dryness with a good quality facial moisturizer made for your skin type. Dry skin care isn’t just for the ladies either! Men should moisturize daily to prevent the drying effects of cold Winter air on their skin, as well as soothe their skin after shaving.
Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 Anti-Aging UV Moisturizer, SPF 15, 1.7 OunceJack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturizer SPF 20, 3.3 fl. oz.Mary Kay TimeWise Age Fighting Moisturizer, Normal/Dry SkinProactiv Solution Green Tea Moisture 1 OzKyoku for Men Facial Moisturizer, 1.7 Fluid OunceNeutrogena Men Age Fighter Face Moisturizer, 1.4 OunceRoc Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Daily Moisturizer, SPF 30, 1-ounce Tube
Facial Moisturizing Masks For Dry Skin Care
Dry skin care isn’t difficult, and with persistence can restore the natural oils and moisture to your skin. Dry skin care can also prevent premature wrinkles and improve the youthful appearance of your skin.